Agriculture & Natural Resources

Subscribe To The Texas A&M AgriLife Extension – Montgomery County Ag & Natural Resources Mailing List

* indicates required

Intuit Mailchimp


Upcoming Events:

2017 Census of Agriculture Montgomery County Profile

The topics listed below are some of the more common ones we see in the Montgomery County Extension Office. If you still have questions, please contact our office.

Asian Giant Hornets

Get To Know The Asian Giant Hornet

hornet picture


A list of beekeepers who are registered with the Texas Apiary Inspection Service:

Bee Removal

Montgomery County Beekeeper’s Association:

Feral Hogs

AgriLife Feral Hog Page

Pond Management

If you are having problems with your pond, call our office.  If you need to have a pond weed identified, please email pictures to our Agriculture agent, Brandon Gregson at

Pond Plant ID

Pond Management by Texas A&M University

Need advice on new pond construction?  Contact the NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service)

Soil Testing

Montgomery County Master Gardeners offer pH testing in the County Extension Office, but many people would like to have more information about their soil. To get a routine analysis of your soil, you can either come by our office and pick up a form and a sample bag, or you can print off the form from the link below and use a Ziploc freezer bag.

When you’re looking at the form (linked above) the first page is what you fill out.  The second page is instructions on how to take the sample and how to mail it.  Be sure that you label your bag and your sample ID on your bag matches your form.  Make sure you pay attention to the shipping address.  There are two different addresses, depending on if you are using the Postal Service or another courier.  If you provide an email address on the form, you will generally get your results back within a week or two.  You will get an analysis, with a recommendation on how to amend the soil towards the bottom of the page.  If you need help deciding what to do next, contact our office for assistance.

Use this form for your pasture: Soil Testing Forms

Use this form for your lawn/garden:  Urban/Homeowner Soil Testing Forms


Taxpayers may qualify for agricultural productivity valuation on their land.  This link provides information on the requirements and steps to file for an agricultural appraisal:

Ag Use Valuation (Property Taxes)

Ag Use Valuation (Ag Exemption for your land) Information from the Montgomery Central Appraisal District:

Sales Tax Exemptions:

Producers can claim exemptions from some Texas taxes when purchasing certain items used exclusively for agricultural and timber products for sale.  This link will provide more information:

Agricultural Tax Exemption (Purchases)

Miscellaneous / Other

Hay Hotline (Search for hay and related services)

TAMU Animal Science Workshops

Texas Department of Agriculture

Montgomery County Emergency / Disaster Contact Information

Handbook for Hunting, Grazing, and Livestock Leases

Agriculture Law information from AgriLife Extension Specialist, Tiffany Lashmet, including:

Landowner liability, fence law, estate planning and more:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *